I have a job and I’m moving to Canberra.
I’ve previously lived in Canberra. I rented a two bed, two bath and 2 car space apartment close to the CBD.
It’s easier moving knowing a bit more about Canberra.
This is my guide to finding a wheelchair accessible apartment to buy and live in.
I looked at properties online and called agents asking about wheelchair access. This eliminated a few options. I then travelled to Canberra to inspect properties before deciding on which property was best for me.
These are important questions that I had answered to help make my decision on which property suited me best.
- Does it have a lift and/or ramp access?
- Are the car spaces beside each other?
- Does strata laws allow modifications and renovations?
- Can the shower screen be removed?
- Is there enough space in the bathroom to access all the amenities? Can I access the sink?
- Can I move around the kitchen? Is there ample storage within reach?
- What is the access like to the balcony? Does it need a ramp?
- How far is it from work and shops? Is it mostly flat?
- Where do I take garbage?
- Is the neighbourhood noisy?
- How will it look with my current furniture? What extra equipment or furniture do I need to buy?
- How heavy are the doors? Can I make them lighter or remove the whole door?
I look forward to moving in and sharing what I get up too